Sunday, August 13, 2006

Double listening - what do you think

I have felt this compulsion - from time to time - to be issuing a travelogue about Edinburgh. The castle, the fireworks at night, the old town, the new town and etcetera. But this is not really an external journey.
And Lonely Planet does a much better job than I do when it comes to describing beautiful Edinburgh

This is an inner journey. Which gets externalized on the stage everyday in the form of a performance. I went to a wonderful circus performance last night [called IMMORTAL]. There was a tight rope walker. 2MT feels a bit like tightrope walking.
Straddling internality and externality. Too internal and it becomes self indulgent. Too external.- may as well read Lonely Planet or whatever. Today we dealt with the complicated feelings of being Jewish. The history, the legacy of victimization, the pride.
The question: Can we ever be free of narratives of persecution

Yesterday I wrote that the ear is an external organ But it isn't only. Its also internal. The inner ear.
We are learning to listen with an outer ear and an inner ear.
Its like double listening. Listening in stereo.

Your refections please.

5 Comments:

Blogger RARP said...

Dear Murray,
We met in Edinburgh outside the Henson show, after our family had been profoundly moved by your amazing dialogue with Paul. I am the rabbi from Virginia. My husband, Gary, sent me the link today... there is so much I have to share with you and Paul and I promise to do so. But, for now, just a passage about the tightrope from our prayerbook- Gates of Prayer, page 677:
It is told: Rabbi Chaim of Krosno was once observed watching a rope dancer with great absorption. His disciples wondered why their master found this small thing so full of interest. He explained it thus: This man is risking his life, and I cannot say why. But of this I am certain: while he is walking the rope, he is not thinking of the fact that he is earning money by what he is doing, for if he did, he would fall.

12:28 PM  
Blogger David Neubert said...

Saw your show on August 17th. I could really feeling my listening being focused by your performance.
davidneubert.com

2:55 PM  
Blogger John Udy said...

My wife and I love the Fringe but it is possible to be overwhelmed by the bustle, pace and sheer volume of what is on offer. And so we found 2MT a haven in which we could absorb and reflect on your stories. I think yours is a very brave show but I would like to thank you above all for that demonstration of love, in its broadest sense, that permeates all that you say and do.

3:47 PM  
Blogger Paul Browde said...

I hear you Murray

4:27 AM  
Blogger Jerome said...

Murray
Finally I am leaving a comment on this blog! First of all congratulations to both of you on your journey and what may be the start of a new era for Two Men Talking.
Your question :"Can we ever be free of narratives of persecution?" has really resonated with me. I was raised a Catholic and the legacy of guilt and victimization is also prevalent. At least that's how I felt it growing up. I then decided I would renounce my faith and not follow any sort of religion as I thought it had all become political and that official religious people (the Vatican, priests, bishops, etc.), much like politicians, were corrupt and only out to defend their own interests, i.e. self-preservation in a world where science and progress were fast replacing religious beliefs.
Recently, I realized this is an extreme position in itself, and one of intolerance. Through the process of working with you on a film about a Jewish Holocaust survivor, I re-discovered what it meant to believe in a higher power, free of any underlying intentions of power. Now, it feels like shades of gray were added on to a situation where I tended to see things in black and white on a particular issue. I think that's the importance of what you do with Two Men Talking, you allow us to see the shades of gray where many want us to see only black and white. And I think this also has to do with "double listening". To me, that means being able to listen in different ways. I would argue that my view of religion is influenced by my personal issues with it and my upbringing (this would be the inner ear) which I listen to naturally, whether I want to or not, and all external elements, which I'm constantly learning to listen to (the outer ear). That's double listening to me.

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home