Saturday, July 29, 2006

In Edinburgh

I've been thinking about this blog ever since I arrived here four days ago.
I keep wondering who I'm writing for. Who's listening?
In all our storytelling work, we've got this cardinal rule: that there's a reciprocal relationship between telling and listening. Which is all very well when you're talking to someone. Its easy - then - to see the ways in which the listening is shaping the talking.
But what about writing on a blog? Its a bit like talking to oneself (which I was taught at a young age to be a sign of madness). Does one listen to oneself? Or does one always have internalized listeners? Who do I have in my mind as the person or people listening? So if you're reading this, which is the textual version of listening, thank you.

Anyhow, this is just me breaking the ice. I've never shared my daily journals with anyone, and blogging is a bit similar to that. Private thoughts. Made public.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home